Our family LOVES banana bread! And I love to bake, win win! I have tried several recipes over the years and some we liked and some not so much, and then I found “IT”, the recipe of all recipes and the search ended with this 1. I did tweak it a little as I do with almost every recipe I come across, after all I love adding my own touch to things.
Banana bread is 1 of those things that when you go to a gathering or out to eat and it is served you take a small bite to make sure it is gobble down worthy.You may bite into a pasty/sticky bread, a too dry bread, a bread overloaded with nuts (not my personal liking at all), or a bread that is just right. Banana bread roulette I call it, hehe.
The recipe I am about to share with you is so flexible and delish! You can make bread loaves, cake size, or muffins with it! You can add stuff to it like nuts, ya know if you are into that sort of thing, cranberries (who knew!?), peppermint/choc/butterscotch chips, something I like to occasionally add is Nutella, yes a swirl of yummy choco/hazelnut goodness! The possibilities are endless!
1 of my favorite things about baking is how much my kids love to help! I must admit I do have days that I want to get in and out of the kitchen as quickly as possible and don’t want to deal with the extra time and clean up that kids in the kitchen bring (hey I am only human!) but for the most part I love it when they take turns helping and when they ask all sorts of fun questions like when cracking eggs, “Hey mom didn’t you say chicken lay eggs, does that mean they come from their butt area? And if so how the heck does a big hard egg come out of a little chicken, ouch!?” or like “What would happen if I take the high speed mixer out of the bowl while it is on (as batter flies all over each of us)!?” Oh the joys of parenting!
This recipe will make 2 loaf pans or 1 cake pan or approx 12-18 muffins
- 3 cups of white sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups ripe mashed banana (I don’t always have the patience for the ripening process and have made it with yellow and still tastes great!)
- 1/2 cup sour cream (secret ingredient! YES sour cream! Crazy right!?)
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- OPTIONAL 1 1/2 cups of chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 325F (165 degrees C)
- Lightly grease and flour/cooking spray your two 8×4 loaf pans, cake pan or use muffin/cupcake liners for a muffin pan
- In a large bowl, cream together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition
- Stir in the bananas and sour cream
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and pecans (if desired), mix
- Combine banana mixture with flour mixture and mix just until combined
- Pour batter into prepared pan(s)
- Bake in a preheated over for 55-65 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean
- Remove from pan and place on wire rack to cool
- Serve warm or cold (just an FYI this is SO yummy served warm with a lil butter spread on it)
If you are going to add “extras” like choco chips etc you would add them to your banana mixture before combining with flour mixture. If you want to add Nutella (highly recommended hehe) then you will take a small amount of the already mixed batter before pouring it into pans, put some (about 1/4-1/2 of a cup) in a small bowl add a tablespoon or 2 of Nutella and mix it together, then after you pour your batter into desired pan(s) you will spoon small amounts of this Nutella mix and swirl it in with a butter knife.
Warning: Once you make and eat this banana bread there will be no other banana bread that can compare, so when taking a bite of banana bread someone else has made make sure you take small bites and be prepared to fake it!
P.S. If you make this and love it or if you are from another planet and make it and hate it please share your thoughts and comments with us! We also love recipe shares so feel free to post a link to your recipes in the comment section as well!
My kids LOVE to play like they own their own bakery/kitchen when they cook with me and have their own aprons, bake-ware etc. Here is a link of just some of the stuff they use and love, and as always such a great deal, most with free shipping!
Mama Bear Plus 6